Salesforce Integration with Outbound REST APIs
Our client, a leading fintech offering education loans, needed a solution to sync their Salesforce platform with a third-party Loan Origination system. The third-party system exposed a suite of RESTful APIs but required OAUTH2 and JWT tokens for authorizations.
To implement a secure, real-time synchronization mechanism between Salesforce and the loan origination system. The mechanism had to be triggered contextually based on certain events or criteria in Salesforce.
- Using Salesforce’s Apex, we designed a class dedicated to retrieving the OAUTH2 access token.
- This class was responsible for securely storing the client ID, secret, and other essential credentials.
- On successful authorization, the access token was cached for future requests.
- We leveraged Apex to generate JWT tokens, which were signed using the RSA SHA256 algorithm.
- The private key was securely stored in Salesforce, and the JWT token was used to request an access token from the third-party system.
- Salesforce Flows were created to dictate when and how the API calls should be made.
- These flows were event-driven, triggered by actions like completed loan application submission in Salesforce.
- On each trigger, the Flow would call the relevant Apex class, which in turn interacted with the outbound API, passing the necessary authorization tokens.
- On successful API call, data was either pushed to the third-party system or pulled based on the requirements.
- We implemented error-handling mechanisms to manage potential API failures or data inconsistencies.
- Real-time Sync: With the integrated Flow and Apex logic, Salesforce achieved near real-time synchronization with the third-party inventory management system.
- Enhanced Data Integrity: By employing OAUTH2 and JWT, we ensured secure data transactions, maintaining data integrity and confidentiality.
- Scalable Solution: The solution was crafted to accommodate an increasing number of API calls as the CRM platform scaled.
Our approach allowed the client to seamlessly integrate their Salesforce instance with a crucial third-party system. It not only automated significant parts of their Loan Application management but also brought in efficiency, accuracy, and scalability.